Badger Ridge Greenhouse offers organic fertilizer made from worm composting that we produce on our greenhouse site near Crossfield, Alberta. Worm compost is produced in a vermiculture using African red wigglers and European night crawlers. The earthworms live in a bedding of natural peat moss and are fed an organic grain mixture. Earthworm castings are the excretions left behind by worms after they finish digesting the organic matter that makes up their diet.
More than just a great organic fertilizer worm compost also improves soil, enhances plant growth, and is really the ultimate garden compost. Earthworm castings are clean, odorless, and can be used indoors and outdoors to provide a boost to all of your plants.
While the castings are concentrated and rich in nitrogen, they are gentle enough to be applied in direct contact to sensitive plant roots without fear of burning. Worm castings also supply magnesium, phosphates, calcium, potassium, and potash, along with a range of micro-nutrients and trace elements.
Worm castings are loaded with beneficial soil microbes and other soil organisms that will help restore life and health to depleted and worn out garden soils.
Some of the benefits of Earth Worm Castings are that they are:
- An organic fertilizer & mineral rich
- High concentration of beneficial bacteria & microbes
- Promotes the activity of enzymes & natural plant growth regulators
- Enhances germination and early growth of seedlings & cuttings
- Larger castings improve soil structure
- Minerals & nutrient in plant available form
- Increases resistance to pest & disease attack
- Environmentally safe